Cannot install into multiple IDEs with GetIt Package Manager

TwineCompile - Cut C++Builder compile times by up to 50x!
zencode

Cannot install into multiple IDEs with GetIt Package Manager

Post by zencode »

I have been using Twine with RAD Studio 10.4 since it was made available through GetIt Package Manager. I then installed it into RAD Studio 11.0 via GetIt. Afterward, the RS10.4 installation did not work correctly. I uninstalled it from RS10.4 which corrupted the RS11.0 installation so badly that I was unable to uninstall from RS11.0 through GetIt. I had to remove the package using regedit in order to reinstall.

The reason for the problems is the installation directory used for both RS10.4 and RS11.0 is the same (C:\Program Files (x86)\JomiTech\TwineCompile). I assume this is fine for the standard installation of Twine (usable by all IDE versions) but it does not work for installations via GetIt. They are different versions of Twine and they interfere with the GetIt mechanism.

Currently, I am only able to use Twine to compile in one version of the IDE at a time. If I usually work in RS11.0 and know I'll be working in RS10.4 for a while then I will uninstall Twine from RS11.0 and install it in RS10.4. It would be fantastic if these installations could exist at the same time.

Thank you
jomitech
Site Admin

Re: Cannot install into multiple IDEs with GetIt Package Manager

Post by jomitech »

Installing TwineCompile for 10.4 first, and then installing TwineCompile for 11.0 on top of that (in the same directory) should work fine. Do not uninstall it.
Jon
zencode

Post by zencode »

jomitech wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:56 pm Installing TwineCompile for 10.4 first, and then installing TwineCompile for 11.0 on top of that (in the same directory) should work fine.
If that were true I wouldn't have submitted my post because that's how it was installed on my system. If this installation worked fine, I would have worked this way for months or years until the day came that I uninstalled RS10.4 and then I would have discovered Twine in RS11.0 no longer worked.

Here are some of the odd behaviors that I have encountered when Twine is installed via GetIt for both IDEs (10.4 first then 11.0):
  1. Compile Window: Compile Status tab: in 10.4 no longer shows the files being compiled and the progress bar doesn't update
  2. Compile Window: Compile Status tab: in 10.4 shows a blank "Files compiled" label until the compile is finished. When the compile finishes then it displays a value of "1" even though it should show a much greater number.
  3. Compile Window: Compile Status tab: if a compile is concurrently taking place in both IDEs, I can click [Cancel] in one IDE which will cause the compile in the other IDE to fail with this message:
    [C++ Error] TCTargets104.targets(699, 5): MSB6006 "mtbcc32" exited with code 1.
Behaviors 1 and 2 are just annoying and can be lived with. Behavior 3 is what originally brought my attention to this problem because my builds in the IDE were failing. This happened when I would build a group of projects in 10.4 in the background while editing, compiling, and canceling in 11.0. This is a rare use case but it did lead to me uninstalling from 10.4 and discovering the problem of it being gone from 11.0 and then being unable to reinstall via GetIt until performing the registry hack.
jomitech wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:56 pm Do not uninstall it.
It has to be uninstalled someday. And when that day comes the only path forward is to hack the registry and reinstall into the IDE being used at that time. I'm able to do this but are other developers?
jomitech
Site Admin

Post by jomitech »

Please send a request to support@jomitech.com, and we'll try to sort this out for you.
Jon