TC stability issues

TwineCompile - Cut C++Builder compile times by up to 50x!
oliwe

Re: TC stability issues

Post by oliwe »

I am on RAD Studio 11.2 and the communication problems of TwineCompile with RAD Studio IDE are still present (or are back).
Example:
I compiled and linked my large project (C++/64bit) in release mode via Make in the RAD Studio IDE - worked.
Then I switched two Debug Configuration and tried to Make the project.
All files were compiled and the exe was generated (I checked this in the directory) but the TwineComile window was frozen, Cancle Button did not work. I was able to close the TwineComile Window with the Cross in the TwineCompile Window.
But then I am not able to use TwineCompile again. I can not open the Options of TwineCompile because the tool thinks that it is still running. Only solution I found is restarting the RAD Studio IDE.

Supplement, 20221122:

Hello - maybe this will help:

I just built again this large project using TwineCompile in the RAD Studio IDE.
All files were compiled, the exe linked. A saw this in the directory and I could follow the steps in the taskmanager.
The exe is located in the directory - everything is fine.
But in RAD Studio the TC window is still showing "Making *.cbproj..." it is still updating minutes later ... although the work has been done for a long time.
The only process with significant CPU load is bds.exe.
After 24 minutes (!) the TC window disappears and RAD Studio IDE can be used again.

-> So the problem is definitely the message sending mechanism between TwineCompile and RAD Studio IDE. The TC window is not frozen - the message sending mechanism is super slow! Any ideas? I already disabled Virus scanning, added exeptions (e.g. bds.exe, cquery.exe, my source code folder)
oliwe

Re: TC stability issues - Workaround

Post by oliwe »

As I reported before, the problem lies in the communication between TwineComile and the RAD Studio IDE.

The large project that I compile includes several hundreds of cpp and h files, own code and third-na libraries - although the code compiles, many warnings are thrown out (Setting in Project Objections is "Enable all warnings = true").

Here is the problem, if I set "Disable all warnings = true" then TC works smoothly in the RAD Studio IDE :-)

As soon as I say "Enable all warnings = true" the TC window becomes "not responding" after a few compiled files, as well as the entire RAD Studio IDE.

For example, although if a "make" of the project takes only 2-3 minutes, the RAD Studio IDE will not respond for 20-30 minutes!

Please, please, please a fix for this!

(Yes - I can avoid warnings in my source code, but not in the third-na libraries)
jomitech
Site Admin

Post by jomitech »

Apologies for the lack of communication - we were having some issues with the forum notifications.

Please download the following file and extract into the TwineCompile Program Files directory to solve this issue:
https://jomitech.com/downloads/TwineCom ... ore110.zip
Jon
oliwe

Post by oliwe »

Thank you very much.
I used the new dll - did a build of the project.

When I compile with warnings ON, the delay of the display in my project is still ~20 minutes, RAD Studio IDE and TwineCompile window are not responsive in this timeframe.
(Time from when I see the exe is in the directory until the TwineCompile window shows that the "build completed successfully".)

If I turn off the warnings, there is no delay in the TwineCompile window, RAD Studio IDE keeps responsible.
jomitech
Site Admin

Post by jomitech »

How many warnings end up being emitted? That patch should have solved the issue completely - we redid the threading notifications so that it would batch up updates to the UI instead of pushing each one individually.
Jon
oliwe

Post by oliwe »

247532 warnings.
Most of them from libaries like vtk which I use.
So I can not avoid these warnings.
In the RAD Studio IDE it is just possible to say "all warnings" or "no warnings" for the bcc64 compiler.
jomitech
Site Admin

Post by jomitech »

Apologies for the delay in responding. We've been looking into this issue and have been able to reproduce it. The TwineCompile plugin was not designed to handle this number of error or warning messages and the message synchronization/UI update struggles to keep up. We're working on a solution that should solve this issue.
Jon
oliwe

Post by oliwe »

Thank you for taking a look at this issue. A solution to this problem would be a great help when working with large projects in the RAD Studio IDE! TwineCompile can then become truly irreplaceable :-)
jomitech
Site Admin

Post by jomitech »

Are these warnings being issued inside VTK header files? One option we've been looking into is creating the ability to suppress warnings coming from selected files (eg: "include/test.h" or even an entire folder "include/"), as this would allow warnings from other units to show up without being lost in all the warnings from files that don't matter. Would this be of benefit to you?
Jon
oliwe

Post by oliwe »

Yes, warnings issued from inside the VTK header files.
I think it would help if you could exclude folders (and all sub-folder) from the warnings - this should work.